Friday, March 30, 2012

Cupcake Week: Crumbs Bake Shop

Happy Friday!!! Usually this would be an excellent thing, but unfortunately this also marks the end of Cupcake Week.

And it marks the end of normal eating for me. Me and my roommate have decided to be crazy and go vegan for a week while also cutting out all processed food. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it. But honestly, the only two things I think I will truly miss are bread and peanut butter. And pork. It's going to be awful.

I could go to Whole Foods and grind up my own peanuts into butter, but let's be honest...I am way to cheap for that! So it looks like I'll be living off fruits, veggies, beans, almonds, hummus, and oatmeal. Yum! What more could you need?? Besides, you know, a big cheeseburger or a milkshake or a peanut butter sandwich or CUPCAKES!!!

Okay, clearly I'm too upset for this conversation right now. Let's just talk about cupcakes. And how much I have enjoyed them on my last day of freedom.

So the winner of my Best Cupcake in Boston (so far) (I definitely intend to do a LOT more "research" on this subject matter, especially after my week from hell) is...Crumbs Bake Shop!!!



Now this is a national chain...which made me hesitant to pick it as the best in Boston. But it is in Boston...and it is truly the freaking best I've ever had thus far. So good in fact that I have gone there TWICE in one week!! Me! Spent money! Twice! On giant calorie-laden cupcakes! (I actually read somewhere that their vanilla cupcake has 700 calories. I hope to God that this isn't true, but it would not surprise me one bit. And it would not [and did not] deter me from going back and shoving another one down my throat).

So for real, if you knew me, you would know that a cupcake must be pretty damn good for me to keep eating them after finding out they have over 700 calories a piece. And these are good! And I know why they have 700 calories...they are pure butter!


For real, look at that cake!!! It was so moist and amazing! I could've eaten just the cake plain without the frosting or filling! So good!


First time I went, I got this one. It's called the Good Guy. Funfetti cake with a buttercream filling, cream cheese frosting and a CRAP TON of sprinkles and awesomeness on top! It was amazing. Like I said...the cake was so moist and fresh and delicious! The frosting was also really good. I couldn't really taste the cream cheeseyness of the frosting because there were some many sprinkles, but it was still really good! They didn't even need the filling because the cake was so good on its own and there was plenty of frosting.

They had a coupon on their website for their first two weeks being opening for buy one get one free. So I grabbed my friend Vic (the girl giving me thumbs up in front of the shop) to come with me and she got the Brownie cupcake: chocolate cake with chocolate fudge frosting and filling and a chunk of brownie on top.


I'm not a chocolate cake person, but she devoured hers as quickly as I devoured mine so it must have been equally fantabulous!

Now today was the last day for that coupon so yesterday I printed out another one and took a trip downtown to get TWO MORE of these awesome amazingnesses! All so that I could give you a more accurate review...I hope you all realize how much I truly sacrifice for your food knowledge. You're welcome.

This time I went with the Toasted Coconut.


Yum yum yum yum yum! Now...I make a mean coconut cake! And that will be to come on a future blog post, but trust me when I say it's the best coconut cake you'll ever have. But this cupcake came pretty darn close. It wasn't quite as moist as the other one I had last week. I don't know if this is because it's a different kind or it just hadn't been made as recently or what, but it was still really good.


It was vanilla cake with vanilla cream cheese frosting, some kind of coconut flavored pudding or custard stuff (technical terms) filling, and toasted coconut on top. Yum!

I also got a Mudslide cupcake for Vic, but I don't know how good it is because I'm going to bring it to her this afternoon while she's busy at work. I know, I'm an awesome friend!


Chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling, coffee cream cheese frosting, and chocolate chips and Oreos on top.

These cupcakes are $4 a piece, which may seem like a lot, but they are a lot bigger than your standard cupcake. Perfect for splitting with someone or cutting in half to have it two days in a row (that is, if you're strong enough to stop eating it halfway through).

The service here was also phenomenal! They were all really friendly and helped you decide which flavor to choose (because seriously, there are AT LEAST 25 different flavors! even more reason to keep going back again and again to try them all).

Overall, I was clearly very impressed! Check this place out! And you can see where all the food trucks hang out outside South Station from the bakery. Head downtown for some lunch and pop in here for dessert!

Rating Breakdown (out of 5):

Frosting: 5
Cake: 20
Number of Flavor Options: 55
Price: 3.5
Overall Taste: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment