Friday, April 6, 2012

Veggie Galaxy

Happy Friday! I hope you all had a fabulous week!

I had a major moment of weakness last night. My dining hall was serving my FAVORITE dish: Sweet and Sour Chicken. And it looked SO good! And I stood in front of that station staring at it for a good 2 minutes before the annoyed worker finally said, "Do you want this?" And I just sadly bowed my head and walked away to the salad bar. So sad. One more day!!

But then the universe decided to make it up to me because today they had that same sweet and sour dish for lunch today only this one had vegan "meat"balls instead of chicken. Yay me! It was so good!

So yesterday we made the trek into Cambridge to visit Veggie Galaxy. It's a 100% vegetarian, 80% vegan restaurant. (Their sister restaurant is called Veggie Planet..where they do a million different kinds of pizza. I'll have to try them out sometime too).


We had a little bit of a late at prime lunchtime, but once we were seated the service was fairly quick. And it was good because we needed that ten minute wait to scan the menu and decide what we wanted. The stuffed french toast with vegan nut cream cheese and camamelized banana butter??? Omg it took every ounce of willpower not to order it, it sounded so good. But I decided on something healthier and more hearty. The vegan Cambridge Street omelet: $9.50.


It had black beans, red pepper puree, and sweet corn and apple salsa with vegan cheese and a tofu egg. It also came with home fries and wheat toast (which I did eat half a slice of, sorry! But I can't eat an omelet without toast!). This no doubt would have been ten times better if I could have had regular egg and cheese, but it was still pretty good. Vegan cheese freaks me out though...I'm sorry. I don't know how you eat that...it's unnatural. The home fries were delicious though!


I thought it had a really cute diner feel. And our booth was a two seater, but it was up in the air like a high table, but still a booth. I thought it was the coolest. And there was a giant mirror across from us begging me to take a picture. So I did.


For a drink, we got vegan Chocolate Malts ($6) because quite frankly..we deserved it! It was very good...tasted just like a regular chocolate malt with a hint of coconut. So good! And I'm going to pretend it was healthy because it was vegan.

They also have a bakery here with strictly vegan desserts. It all looked so good! But eventually we settled on the Sweet Potato and Carrot Cake with Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting ($5.25). Oh. My. God. It was literally the best carrot cake I've ever had. (Even better than mine...which I must say is pretty dang good). It was also the most moist cake I've ever had...those vegans really know what they're doing!



And can we take a minute (or ten) to talk about the vegan cream cheese frosting??? What is it made of?? Aside from pure heaven. It was so good! You could see the vanilla beans speckled throughout and it was so rich and cream cheesy and sweet and amazing. I don't know how they do it. I can't wait to come back here just to try their cheesecake next (and then every other piece of cake in their bakery!)

So overall: if you're vegan, I would recommend it. If you're vegetarian, I wouldn't waste your money here. It was really, really expensive. It came to about $20 a piece, which (even with dessert and a milkshake) is way too much for a lunch if you ask me. But I understand vegan ingredients are expensive, so I can't blame them. I wouldn't go to the restaurant part again though. Definitely the bakery though! For real....vegan desserts are delicious!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment