Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Healthy Apple Crisp

Happy Leap Day!!!

In honor of the rareness that is this day, I'm going to do something a little rare...post a recipe that I, myself, have not made. But I do have my reasons.

A.) This is by far the most delicious thing I have ever eaten (at least in the past month) and I do not want to make you all wait until I am home with my own kitchen and can finally try it for myself before gracing you with this amazing recipe!

B.) I trust that the recipe is accurate and will turn out just as delicious as the one (or three) servings that I had!

So as you can probably imagine I (mostly my mother) pay a pretty steep price to come to BU, but I have encountered several things over the past 2 years that completely justify this to myself (and I'm working on my mom). And one of these things is BU's Dining Services. They are incredible!! I look forward to eating college food! For serious...they have something for everyone! And another thing I love is their Sargent Choice program.

At every dining hall and at every meal there are always a few "Sargent Choice options" which is keyword for amazing, delicious food THAT IS ALSO GOOD FOR YOU! They cook with whole grains, add more veggies, and eliminate really bad foods from their dishes. And you know what...IT STILL TASTES GOOD! It is rare that I won't get a Sargent Choice option because I personally think they are better than regular options.

Some of my favorites are their Sweet and Sour Chicken, their whole wheat pizzas, their Mustard Maple Pork Tenderloin, and THEIR APPLE CRISP!


It may not look like much, but trust me...it is. My camera phone is just really bad!

Now, I usually avoid the dessert table because I'm a good little girl, but this caught my eye when I was going to get a bowl of fruit. And the sign said it was Sargent Choice Apple Crisp..so I thought "Hey...I like apple crisp...I just got back from the gym...I know Sargent Choice is healthy...So therefore, I can guiltlessly eat a bowl of this apple crisp." (And then I guiltily ate 2 more bowls..but that's besides the point).

I fell in love at first bite! It's everything you need in an Apple Crisp without all the unnecessary fat and calories. So I immediately found the recipe and now I will share it with you so you can all enjoy this (almost) guilt-free dessert AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!


Sargent Choice Apple Crisp Recipe:
Ingredients:
            3 lbs apples (approx. 9 medium apples), sliced
            1 TB Lemon Juice
            1/4 cup white sugar
            1 TB cornstarch
            1/4 cup whole wheat flour
            2/3 cup rolled oats
            1/2 cup brown sugar
            1 tsp cinnamon
            1/8 tsp salt
            1/4 cup canola oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. For the topping: Combine flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and canola oil in a medium bowl and work them together with a fork or your fingertips until uniformly moistened.
2. To make the filling:  Combine the apples peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch slices), lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch.
3. To assemble:  Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the apple mixture to the dish. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples.  Bake until the apples are fork-tender and the topping is golden brown, about 35-45 minutes.
Serves 12


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment