Friday, February 24, 2012

The Descendants and Panera Bread

Happy Friday everyone! I hope you all had a great week.  I don't know what is wrong with the world but I actually had no homework almost all week. Crazy! Which is good, because I have a HUGE conference coming up tomorrow called PR Advanced. Me and my fellow committee members have been planning this all year and public relations professionals from all over are coming to BU to speak and do speed networking, a career fair, and different breakout sessions. It's going to be awesome! And hopefully I make a good impression and get an internship for the summer. So that's what my entire week has been spent doing...preparing for tomorrow. So wish me luck!

With all my free time, however, I FINALLY got to see The Descendants! I'm pretty sure this had to be the last week it was in theaters because it came out forever ago. And you wouldn't believe how many people were there! I was stunned.

So anyway, the movie was not at all what I was expecting. But I guess the only thing I did know was that George Clooney played a dad in some messed up family. Well..that was definitely true! I'll start off by saying that I loved Clooney and Shailene Woodley in this movie. They had awesome chemistry and it was very real. Same goes for his younger daughter, played by Amara Miller, and of course the punk best friend, played by Nick Krause. The characters were by far my favorite part of this movie. The acting was amazing.


(This is just a picture from people.com's Sexiest Men Alive album for your viewing pleasure. Damn, he's good-looking! I mean he wears a Hawaiian shirt through this entire movie and still looks damn sexy! Only George Clooney could pull that off...)

As far as the story line goes, it was definitely different. At times it felt pretty long and drawn out. I found myself getting a little bored at some parts and looking at my watch like 'how long is this movie??' Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say it's a boring movie, it just drags on in parts. It has a lot of really dark and subtle humor that I loved.

So overall, I liked it...it was just very...I guess "different" is the only word I can think of to describe it.

And then after the movie me and my friend Nick went to the Panera Bread next door because I still have a gift card from my birthday to use. I ordered the You Pick Two (naturally) with the Steak Balsamico and the Classic Salad with an apple (you have no idea how much it killed me not to get the whole grain baguette, but I'm trying to cut back on bread...key word: trying).

I had gotten the Steak Balsamico once before when it first came out and immediately fell in love!! It is everything you could possible want in a panini! Steak, tomatoes, spinach, mozzarella, roasted red peppers, and a balsamic basil spread on ciabatta. Heaven! Seriously, you need to try this, it is so good!

And for some reason, which remains unknown to me, I didn't take a picture of it. What is wrong with me?? So instead I'm just google imaging it so you can see it's photoshopped amazingness. Here's a pic I stole from grubgrade.com.


One thing I don't understand is why there are no black grill marks, or even darkened ones. It looks like they just left this in a turned off panini machine overnight so it left indents without actually cooking it. But the cheese is melting so I guess it is warm. Anyway, this is actually what my sandwich looked like. I was impressed.

Another thing I was impressed with was the new table locators!! (Are they new? Or is this just a Massachusettes thing?) So instead of getting a buzzer that goes off and scares the crap out of you when your food is ready, you get a similar-looking device that you set on your table and the "waiting staff" comes and brings your food to you! How awesome is that?? Genius Panera Bread..genius.

Now that I think about it, I know why I forgot to take a picture...I was too amazed by the table locator! I mean, really, how do they know? I checked the waiter out and he did not have a GPS tracker in his hand or anything. And this is a big Panera Bread, like there are 3 different sections and the tables are all close together and it was packed! I was amazed.

And one last thing that I love about Panera Bread...the nutrition calculator on their website. It's so helpful! Especially if you're like me and like to research the nutrition facts of a restaurant before you visit it. (But you don't even really have to with Panera because it's all right on their menu..everyone should do that!) On their calculator though, you can even sub out different ingredients, like different bread and such, and see what the new nutritional info would be. Genius!

According to this, my entire meal came to 660 calories. 440 of which came from one of the most delicious sandwiches I've ever had. Ever.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and here's one more for the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment