Thursday, June 28, 2012

Free Cupcakes at Georgetown Cupcake


Who doesn't love free cupcakes??

Anybody? Anybody?

I didn't think so.

So what if I told you getting free cupcakes was as simple as following a company on Twitter? And not just one free cupcake and you're done. A free cupcake EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. And a different flavor everyday too.

This is real life, people!

Thank God I don't live closer and I work during the day or this would be a serious problem.

So I'll stop the suspense. It's Georgetown Cupcakes.


As many of you probably know already, they recently opened up a shop on Newbury St. And there was a line of like 10,000 people to get free cupcakes for their grand opening a few weekends ago. A line so long that even I just gave up and bought some overprices roasted cashews in Copley Square instead. I passed up free cupcakes!! It was a really long line.

But fear not! Because now they post the day's "secret cupcake" on Twitter everyday. And all you have to do is go in and ask for the cupcake by name and you get it for FREE. Simple. You just have to pray that you got there early enough to get one because they only do 100 per location and 1 per customer. But I imagine they last awhile, especially on weekdays. At least until more people start finding out about it. I got there at 12:30 yesterday (they open at 10am) and there were still some left.


Yesterday's secret flavor was Blueberry Cheesecake. Now I looked on their menu and it said that the blueberry cheesecake cupcake was a blueberry mascarpone cupcake with vanilla icing and I got super excited because I LOVE mascarpone cheese! But alas, maybe it was just different because it was the secret flavor, but it was just an actual little mini cheesecake. Which is not to say that that's not okay, because it was still very delicious!


It had a graham cracker crust that was more of a crumble than a crust because it kind of just fell apart, but that's totally okay with me! And then a thick layer of cheesecake with blueberries throughout. It wasn't the best thing I've ever tasted, but it was definitely quite delicious!

And free.

Did I mention it was free?

But I guess it's a good thing that I got suckered into actually buying a cupcake too so I could get a taste of what their actual cupcakes were like. All in the name of research. Just for you fine readers. You're welcome.

So I went with the Vanilla Birthday Cake. Obviously.


I suppose for only $2.75, it's not a bad deal at all. About $3 with tax. A very standard cupcake price. I was pretty surprised at how small these cupcakes were though. Not that I'm complaining. All the more reason to go get free cupcakes everyday of the week because everyone knows that calories don't count in miniature things. Duh.

Even still, I was planning on saving the birthday cake one for the next day because I couldn't justify eating two cupcakes in one day. Even though I did walk ALL the way from work to Newbury St. just to get said cupcake! But in the end, I couldn't have a perfectly delicious-looking cupcake sitting there, looking at me, without eating it. And plus...I needed to evaluate it's flavor on the same day so I could judge it's freshness. Like I said...just for you guys!

I did manage to pawn off half of it onto my smiling roommate though. So I don't really feel guilty at all.

I really liked this cupcake. It wasn't phenomonal. I don't think it lives up to all the hype, but it was a very yummy cupcakes. And I think most of that hype just comes from the fact that they have a TV show (which you should never watch because it's really stupid and blatantly staged! Cupcake Wars all the way, baby!).

The frosting to cupcake ratio was pretty good with maybe a little too much frosting. But the flavors of both were very good. I don't know where this Madagascar vanilla stuff came from, but I've been seeing it in cupcakes everywhere lately and it is freakin good! Also the cake was pretty moist. I didn't really like the sprinkles though. They had a weird, tart flavor to them that didn't go with the rest of the cupcake.

So overall, I'd give it an A-.


I like how many different flavors they have! And they have different ones for everyday of the week. And different months have different featured cupcakes. The cupcakes all look pretty plain though. Which I guess isn't a bad thing, it just struck me as odd compared to say Crumbs or Sweet.

The store itself was pretty adorable! I liked the set up a lot. I took a gajillion pictures on my phone, but I got a new phone yesterday afternoon (the story of THAT hell is to come in a future blog post) and my memory card won't work in my new phone. So until I can go to the Verizon store and get that all sorted out, I am in desperate withdrawal of all my pictures.

So have you followed them yet??


Free. Cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment